Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Comments On "A Reward of Merit"

I really appreciated the 'dialogue' in this piece by Booth Tarkington. The way the boys speak is really believable and I could imagine the young boys in my neighborhood 'engineering' stunts and adventures the same way that Penrod and Sam connived about making money of old Whitey!

I even stoped to read aloud, finding that the dialogue parts sounded even more 'real' that way, or at least, the story 'speech' sounded to me the same as when I listen to real children talk amongst themselves, cutting out 'proper' elements of speech when there are no adults around.

I thought it was funny the way that Penrod was 'the leader' all the time and 'Sam' followed - because I have observed this behavior in my own family when children gather to play. Someone always seems to initiate activities and others follow the lead - at least for a while.

This is one of the most enjoyable short story bits that I've read since I've been posting. It was refreshing to read about a childs' perspective and to read 'easy-going' language.

Feel free to make comments.

No comments: